FAQ dentists from outside the Netherlands

At the KNMT we are glad to be of service to non-Dutch dentists that aspire to work in the Netherlands. Here is a list of answers to the most frequently asked questions by dentists that have had their training outside the Netherlands.

1. What is a BIG registration?

You are only permitted to work as a dentist in the Netherlands if you are listed in the Dutch Healthcare Professionals register, the 'BIG register'. BIG administers the registration of healthcare professionals in the BIG register, on behalf of the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport. They also issue a Certificate of Professional Competence to care providers wishing to practise in the Netherlands on the basis of a degree awarded in another country. Registration in the BIG-register is temporary. After 5 years you will be asked to re-register. 

2. Why do I have to register with the Dutch Healthcare Professionals (BIG) Register?

Being listed in the Dutch Healthcare Professionals (BIG) register means that:

  • You may use the legally protected title(s) belonging to your profession.
  • You may practise your profession independently.
  • You may carry out certain reserved procedures independently.
  • You are subject to the disciplinary rules of the relevant profession.
  • You can begin specialist training in your professional field.

3. I am studying in the European Union and would like to work in the Netherlands. What should I do?

4. I am studying outside the European Union and would like to work in the Netherlands. What should I do?

5. I am studying in the European Union and would like to continue studying dentistry in the Netherlands. What should I do?

We advise you to contact one of the following three Dutch institutions:

6. What are the requirements for working as a dentist in the Netherlands (from inside and outside the European Economic Area (EEA)?

If you wish to work as a dentist in the Netherlands, you have to fulfil certain conditions. These range from a command of the Dutch language to legal permits and regulations. 

7. What should I arrange before starting work as a foreign dentist in the Netherlands?

10 things to arrange to be able to work as a dentist in Holland and 4 things to arrange when living here as an expat dentist.

8. Does the KNMT also provide information to patients about oral hygiene, dental treatments, oral surgeons and orthodontists?

We do. Please have a look on our website Allesoverhetgebit.nl where we provide detailed information (in Dutch) about oral care, dental treatments, orthodontists, oral surgeons and dental practice. Dentists can refer their patients to this website for more information.

Patients who are not satisfied with their (KNMT affiliated) dentist can file a complaint using the KNMT Klachtenservcie (Complaints Service).

9. I would like to become a member of the KNMT. How do I register?

Register as a KNMT member (discounted membership for newcomers!)

Other questions? Get in touch

If you are considering working as a dentist in the Netherlands, and you have any further questions, read about the requirements for non-Dutch dentists to work in Holland, or get in touch with KNMT Ledenservice (Members Service), available from 8:30 AM to 5 PM  (tel: +31 (0) 30 607 6380). You can also submit your questions by e-mail.